The National Diverse Student Network (NDSN) is a company limited by guarantee. Our registration details are as follows:
- Name: The National Diverse Student Network (NDSN Limited)
- Website address: https://ndsn.co.uk/
- General enquiries email address: email@example.com
- Privacy/data queries email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Company registration number: 13264618
- ICO Registration Number: ZB021619
The NDSN will act in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and any other legislation when we collect, share, store or otherwise use your personal data.
Purpose of this notice
This notice explains how the NDSN collects, uses, and shares your personal data and your rights in relation to the processing of your data.
The type of personal information we collect
We collect and process the following personal data about you:
- Full name
- Email address
- University, Year, Undergraduate or Postgraduate status, and Programme of study
How we get the personal information and why we have it
The personal data we process is provided to us directly by you. We do not collect or use data about you from any other source. When we use data for a purpose, we must have a lawful basis for processing. Our purpose for processing and the lawful basis we rely on for processing this information are set out below:
- When you sign up to be a member of NDSN, we will issue you with a username and password. These details will allow you to access a dedicated members area. We will keep a record of our members to administer the membership process.
- As a member of NDSN, we will keep a record of level of engagement at our events and initiatives. We will keep a record of those that have registered to attend events.
- When you register for events that are catered, we will keep a record of your dietary requirements to ensure that our catering meets your requirements.
- When you attend events hosted by NDSN, these events may be recorded or subject to photography these media may be used in future promotional material or publications. If you do not wish to be photographed at our events, please speak to an event co-ordinator.
- When you sign up as a volunteer with us, we will use the information that you provide to us to cross check your student record. This is necessary to ensure that you are a student with a registered institution.
We are an online community and network for students from ethnically diverse backgrounds and students supporting equality, diversity and inclusion within higher education and professions. We require your consent for the following:
- When you register for membership with the NDSN, you can sign up to our newsletter. You are able to remove your consent to receive the newsletter at any time. You can do this by contacting email@example.com or by clicking ‘unsubscribe’ in any newsletter we send you. We will comply with the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003.
How we store your personal data
When you sign up as a member of NDSN, we will ensure that your personal data is kept securely. The following sets out how this data is collected and where it is stored:
1. Register "Join Now":
This will be a simple registration form, with the below user inputs:
First Name / Last Name
University of Enrolment
Undergraduate or Postgraduate
Email Address (this will need to be your university email address)
Password (and Confirm Password)
This will be a simple login form, allowing you to log into the Restricted
Member Area with your email address and defined password (upon
3. Restricted Member Area:
Once you are logged in, you will be redirected to the "Restricted Members
Area" landing page.
You will also have additional pages within your navigation bar, such as the
‘blog system’ and ‘careers’.
4. Our commitment to your privacy
We will not share your data with any other third party unless we have a legal
reason to do so.
We will always ensure that we use the appropriate security controls in relation to the nature and sensitivity of the data that we use about you.
We will never sell your data.
If we send you direct marketing, we will seek your consent to do this and you can remove this consent at any time.
Retention of your data
Your data will be kept in accordance with the NDSN’s retention policy until such time as you close your account and end your membership with us. Following the closure of your account, your personal data will be deleted within 7 working days. We will maintain a record of aggregate non-identifiable data to monitor cancellation rates.
We will erase your personal data by deleting your data from our internal databases.
Your data protection rights
Under data protection law, every individual has rights around how data about them is managed. These rights include:
- Your right of access - You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
- Your right to rectification - You have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
- Your right to erasure - You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to restriction of processing - You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to object to processing - You have the the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to data portability - You have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you in most circumstances.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you wish to make a request.
How to complain
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal data, you can make a complaint to us at email@example.com.
You can also complain to the ICO if you are unhappy with how we have used your data.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office Wycliffe House
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
ICO website: https://www.ico.org.uk
Questions or comments
If you have any questions or comments regarding this notice or you wish to exercise any of your rights, you should contact the NDSN by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.